Thursday, May 28, 2009

Knit it to fit best, Hepburn pattern.


I love this pattern for several reasons, the turtleneck, raglan sleeves and subtle cable design.

Pam is a slender - approximately 33" bust - who loves oversize sweaters and raglan sleeves so this was a great design for her. She used smaller needles than suggested, size 3.

She said, "I wanted to make sure the turtleneck wouldn't stand out too far from my neck, thus making it look even longer and thinner than it is.... Also, I ran short of yarn - probably due to the #3 needles. So, on the neck treatment, after picking up and knitting for about 1/2" I used a blending color for the inside (non-showing portion) of the turtleneck. I ribbed that part with p2,k4 rib for 3", facing the right side of the sweater, so the neck hugs my own more closely. I then joined the Light Heather yarn again and did stockinette for another 1/2" for the turning ridge, then switched to #5 needles for the cable pattern. I did do almost an extra 1/2" in the neck cable to be sure it would extend down far enough when turned so it would not ride up and let any of the 'wrong' yarn show."

Great ingenuity and I appreciate Pam letting me share this with you. She made a great adjustment for a size problem and possible yarn shortage. Two things that we all have had to think about at some time so I hope this is helpful to someone else - as well as me.

No comments: