Friday, August 20, 2010

Needle Felt Sock Monkeys


Sharon Elzinga from Michigan came to the shop after her tour of Michigan Fiber Festival to get more Lambswool Roving. She showed me the family of Sock Monkeys she has started from the Lambswool Roving and I had to take a picture, they are so cute.

I promised to mention that the female doesn't have all her stripes on her feet or mittens on her hands so she isn't quite finished, the 'baby' one hasn't begun yet. Each one is made individually and very firmly needle felted so they can be handled easily.

She also showed me a recycled wool vest that she has embellished with needle felted flowers and vines, wish I had taken a picture of that. What really impressed me is Sharon's statement that she tells her students, "We change recipes in a cookbook all the time so we should change patterns or designs in our creative work like needle felting to make it our own."

I wholeheartedly agree and think it is important that a beginner learns that from the start. Sharon would be willing to come here to teach a class, if you are interested, let me know.

1 comment:

Hooked On Felt said...

These are sooooo cute. Love the sock monkeys!